Home > business, datacenter, web 2.0 > Sun acquires MySQL!

Sun acquires MySQL!

January 16, 2008

Remember when I said Sun was a company that listened? They sure do.

Maybe MySQL will finally start fixing all the performance/concurrency issues with InnoDB (basically, InnoDB’s threading and concurrency aren’t working well with modern multi-core CPUs). Google’s had some fabulous patches for awhile, and the brilliant Yasufumi Kinoshita does as well, but they don’t seem to be making their way into MySQL anytime soon.

Personally, I worry they’re focused too much on Falcon and not enough on InnoDB – but luckily Sun listens, so that may change. :)

Categories: business, datacenter, web 2.0
  1. January 16, 2008 at 10:17 am | #1

I think it’s a brilliant game changing move by Sun, and will be generally good for all concerned. It should both quicken the pace of innovation and solidify the quality and performance of MySQL. There are other fascinating possibilities dimly showing in the tea leaves as well.

More on my blog:

Cheers,

BW

• October 5, 2009 at 9:49 am | #2

2. January 17, 2008 at 6:34 am | #3

I have little evidence to suggest that this is a problem but I would note that InnoDB is owned by Oracle these days:

Perhaps this causes some conflicts/issues that slow down progress in that area.

3. January 17, 2008 at 3:15 pm | #4

Don,
    thanks for your posting. I’ve asked our director of technical support and VP of Engineering to contact you to get more information about what version you are running and what platform. With that information we can determine if there are fixes to the threading and concurrency issues you’ve noted.

We are working closely with InnoDB in these areas and have incorporated some fixes to improve autoinc performance in 5.1.22 (RC) and also adaptive cache patch in 5.0.54 (GA). InnoDB has been great to work with and the situation with them has been “business as usual”.

We are also reviewing all of the Google patches, and I apologize that this has taken longer to review and test than we have expected. (Mea culpa on this.)

We’re also looking forward to working with Sun in these areas. They have great expertise in scaling performance.

If you can send more info through a support incident that would be helpful. Or contact me directly via email.
    –Zack

Zack Urlocker
    ZUrlocker (at) MySQL

• October 5, 2009 at 9:49 am | #5

4. October 5, 2009 at 9:47 am | #6

these areas and have incorporated some fixes to improve autoinc performance in 5.1.22 (RC) and also adaptive cache patch in 5.0.54 (GA). InnoDB has been great to work with and the situation with them has been "business as usual".

5. November 6, 2009 at 3:57 pm | #7

Love it! You got me so excited to get one and start shooting video!

6. November 10, 2009 at 6:22 pm | #8

I think it's a brilliant game changing move by Sun, and will be generally good for all concerned.

7. November 18, 2009 at 11:06 am | #9

I really appreciate your work .its some thing new .i will love to have that.

debt recovery

8. qwewqewq
    January 10, 2010 at 6:38 am | #10

This all-in-one Blu ray Video Converter helps you rip movies from Blu-ray disc and convert Blu-ray M2TS video to HD videos like HD AVI, HD DivX/Xvid, HD MP4, MOV, HD WMV, and general videos like AVI, WMV, MPEG, MP4, MOV, ASF, FLV, MKV, SWF and other formats with high quality. This Blu-ray Video Converter also helps extract audio from Blu-ray movies and convert to MP3, WMA, AAC, M4A and other files.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 32 other followers