Home > datacenter > Sweet new Sun storage stuff on Monday, Nov 10th

Sweet new Sun storage stuff on Monday, Nov 10th

November 9, 2008

FYI, Sun is announcing some sweet new storage stuff on Monday at 3:30pm PT.

I’m reviewing a few of the things they’re announcing, and hope to publish my thoughts here soon (one of them joins my production network tonight if all goes well). However, I’m at Disneyland with my kids (first trip!) from Monday through Thursday, so I don’t know (yet) when I’ll be able to write them up. Bear with me if it takes a few days.

But the gear is exciting, and the direction Sun is headed is even more exciting!

Categories: datacenter Tags: , , ,
  1. November 9, 2008 at 4:34 pm | #1

Do you still use sun’s storage servers? For what? I thought you had (almost) all your storage on S3?

2. November 9, 2008 at 4:47 pm | #2

PanMan:

Fairly common misconception. :)

While essentially all of our binary data (photos, videos, etc) live on S3, most of our structured storage (metadata, search indexes, etc) live in our datacenters.

FYI, most of our compute does too, despite a decent chunk living on EC2, too.

3. November 10, 2008 at 2:46 am | #3

This kit you are referring to is SWEEEEEEEEEEEET. I’ve seen a pre-production box in all it’s glory and it’s brilliant and is really going to turn the storage market on it’s head with it’s ease of implementation (literally minutes from powering it on to providing TB of storage) and maintenance – the GUI, I mean BUI, is amazing. I’ve never seen anything like this come out of Sun before and they didn’t even have to buy another company for it either ;-) .

Lets just hope they market this well and get it out there. Imagine if Sun released a smaller version as a consumer product.

4. November 10, 2008 at 6:52 am | #4

My hardware was supposed to arrive last week. Hoping for early today do I can put the boots to it. I too am very excited about the direction Sun is going with this, the price, and the benchmark performance numbers they’re talking about.

5. Brad
    November 10, 2008 at 9:19 am | #5

I guess I don’t get the excitement. $117K for 44TB of raw space in a server? I know it’s nice hardware, but I built a similar system a year ago for around a third of the cost. Today it costs me about $20K with support, OS and everything.

6. Yavel Owen
    November 10, 2008 at 6:02 pm | #6

@Brad – 44Tb with massive performance optimizations from integrated flash memory, managed by ZFS with hybrid storage pools (basically, ZFS knows where to put data, in DRAM, NVRAM or disk, for optimal perf). So if your hand built version can deliver what these systems are spec’ing, you’re a genius or a magician – the rest of us can run the 7000′s and master the universe.

This is wild stuff…

7. Chris
    November 10, 2008 at 11:46 pm | #7

@Yavel – You dont really need to be a genius, as you pointed out, ZFS knows how to handle an hybrid storage and ZFS is free…

I really like their front end, the nice GUI with integrated dtrace etc.. but it’s coming at a very expensive price tag.

8. Tim
    November 11, 2008 at 1:29 pm | #8

@Chris – Actually, for enterprise storage, $11k for 2TB is very inexpensive. Sure, you could throw together a few 1 TB drives in some sort of NAS box for < $2k, but it’s not going to have the performance or features of the new Sun box. This is designed to compete with Network Appliance, Dell (EqualLogic), and EMC. The price point completely undercuts those companies.

9. Chris
    November 12, 2008 at 1:24 am | #9

@Tim – Yes I agree,$11k for 2TB is a decent price however $117K for 44TB is not. A fully loaded thumper will cost $62K for 48TB. You still have to add some SSD into the mix but even so, we are far from $117K…

10. Robert Dylina
    November 15, 2008 at 4:12 am | #10

I’m super stoked about the Amber Road products. It’s about time Sun got back into the game, and they’ve been stepping it up big time the last couple years. Can’t wait to see how it gets hammered out. There are some impressive videocasts on the new storage systems on their main website.

11. Rajadurai
    November 17, 2008 at 11:53 am | #11

If you are a startup I heard the discounts are about 45% through the Sun Startup Essentials program. With these kinds of discounts we are now talking S3 price ranges. I hope Sun can makes these boxes fast enough. Very impressive GUI. The analytics just blows away anything that is out there. The simulator “vmware image” does a good job of showing off the power of the appliance.

12. Chris W
    November 30, 2008 at 1:59 pm | #12

Don, any idea when you might followup on this post? I am really curious on your experiences (good/bad/indifferent) with this new hardware. Thanks!

13. January 7, 2009 at 3:49 am | #13

Don – I, too, am very interested in hearing more about your experience thus far with the 7410. I'm very seriously considering purchasing two of them and would love to hear your take on the devices.

As an aside, I just came across this video today – it's of one of Sun's engineers demonstrating (in a rather humorous way) how vibration can affect disk latency. Check it: http://blogs.sun.com/brendan/entry/unusual_disk_l

14. November 6, 2009 at 3:54 pm | #14

Love it! You got me so excited to get one and start shooting video!

15. wewqeqw
    January 10, 2010 at 6:40 am | #15

This all-in-one Blu ray Video Converter helps you rip movies from Blu-ray disc and convert Blu-ray M2TS video to HD videos like HD AVI, HD DivX/Xvid, HD MP4, MOV, HD WMV, and general videos like AVI, WMV, MPEG, MP4, MOV, ASF, FLV, MKV, SWF and other formats with high quality. This Blu-ray Video Converter also helps extract audio from Blu-ray movies and convert to MP3, WMA, AAC, M4A and other files.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 33 other followers