Home > smugmug, web 2.0 > Yahoo adds SmugMug support!

Yahoo adds SmugMug support!

January 16, 2009
Yahoo! in cloud OR Hadoop? (Яху в облаках)

Yahoo! in cloud OR Hadoop? (Яху в облаках) by Alexander & Natalie

tl;dr: Yahoo adds SmugMug support to Profiles. Windows Live coming. Lots of other services, too.

Wow, what a pleasant surprise! Woke up this morning to this story on TechCrunch about 20 new services they’d added to Yahoo Profiles (here’s mine). Lo and behold, SmugMug is one of them! In fact, in Yahoo’s blog post about the new features, SmugMug was the one mentioned for photos. Cool!

As far as I know, we haven’t talked to Yahoo about this at all – which is part of what makes this so great. Microsoft was supposed to have rolled something like this out to Windows Live profiles awhile ago, but I still haven’t seen it drop. We’re very excited about that, too, but the two company’s approaches were very different: Microsoft came over, chatted with us about the product, then had us sign a contract to participate. That was months ago, and I have no idea when it’s actually coming. Yahoo, on the other hand, seems to have just built it and shipped it.

I can see the arguments for both approaches: Microsoft is probably being extra careful about privacy, and working through their internal rules and regulations about re-using user generated content. Yahoo, on the other hand, is scrambling to catch up now as the underdog. I assume Yahoo realized that SmugMug already has strong privacy controls around our feeds and simply hit the gas – full speed ahead.

Either way, what’s especially heartening is the number of sites, services, and pieces of software that now support SmugMug. At The Crunchies last week, we weren’t nominated (we won for Best Design last year), but it still felt like we were winning – many of the winners use or integrate with us: Google Reader, Windows Live Mesh, Cooliris, lots of companies using Amazon Web Services, lots of apps on the iPhone 3G, and FriendFeed. Very cool.

(And all of that despite what we *know* is terrible and/or nonexistent documentation around our feeds. Yes, we’ll work on that.)

1. January 17, 2009 at 2:40 am

Don't forget that there is a SmugMug plugin for Windows Live Photo Gallery that was just released in January :-). So I'd say that there is already support for SmugMug in our WIndows Live Products and getting the support on profile will be even better.

2. NomadRip
    January 17, 2009 at 3:37 am

I don't much use the Yahoo services, and have not even looked at Windows Live yet (sorry Omar, but thanks for "Send to SmugMug" :-), but it's great to see so many services making SmugMug easier to access and use.

3. January 17, 2009 at 5:35 am

I'm a mesh users to sync my docs between three locations, but how is mesh working with SM?

4. Steve
    January 19, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Are you talking to TiVo? I would love to be able to view my SmugMug account from my new TiVo HD box.

5. February 2, 2009 at 12:51 am

Очень познавательно:)

6. February 10, 2009 at 3:47 pm

довольно оригинально..

7. Multi-Monitor
    February 15, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I love the picture of the skyscraper! That's awesome!

8. Dave
    March 7, 2009 at 2:06 am

Blog more often! Your posts are always a great read. :)

9. Ian
    March 19, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Somewhere, between 1972 and paper tape programs and now 2009 I missed something. Clouds? Scaling?

10. tio
    March 29, 2009 at 6:49 am

These are very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

11. Ben Ridge
    April 1, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Hey Don, long time smugmugger and follower of your blog.
    I second what Steve is asking… any chance SmugMug is gonna show up on Tivo HD, like Picassa and Photobucket? Based on my internet searches, I'm not the only one eagerly hoping for it.

12. upach87
    May 4, 2009 at 8:57 am

Мда… во буржуи…
    AIO Alien Skin

13. May 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm

FeedBurner has a Photo Splicer feature which lets you auto-insert your latest photos into your regular site feed. Currently, they support Flickr, BuzzNet and Webshots. It'd be great SmugMug were one of the options there, too.

14. August 24, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Hey wicked photos! Gotta love moden architecture sometimes.

15. October 22, 2009 at 9:42 pm

I found this informative and interesting blog so i think so its very useful and knowledge able.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me.

16. November 15, 2009 at 10:31 am

say it right.

17. December 2, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I have to admit it by I haven't used any of Yahoo!'s services in a very long time. I went over to the "dark side" (ie Google) and have forgotten that Yahoo! provides a lot of good stuff too.

18. December 11, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Congrats. That is a great development. Hope to see more of your services endorsed and used by more people.

19. gfhgfh
    January 8, 2010 at 7:07 am

MTS Converter is an excellent mts conversion software that can convert mts files to other video and audio formats. In addition, The MTS Converter can convert mts, ts, trp hd video files perfectly and quickly.

20. qwewqewq
    January 10, 2010 at 6:37 am

This all-in-one Blu ray Video Converter helps you rip movies from Blu-ray disc and convert Blu-ray M2TS video to HD videos like HD AVI, HD DivX/Xvid, HD MP4, MOV, HD WMV, and general videos like AVI, WMV, MPEG, MP4, MOV, ASF, FLV, MKV, SWF and other formats with high quality. This Blu-ray Video Converter also helps extract audio from Blu-ray movies and convert to MP3, WMA, AAC, M4A and other files.

1. January 16, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 34 other followers