Home > smugmug > Mac OS X Tiger – problem city?

Mac OS X Tiger – problem city?

July 9, 2005

We’re pretty OS agnostic at smugmug, and we like it that way. We have customers that use every operating system, so I think it’s wise that smugmug’s employees do the same. So everyone has Windows desktops, Mac OS X laptops, and Linux boxes abound.

I’m the only one who hasn’t upgraded to Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4), though, I think. Everyone else at smugmug jumped at the opportunity and quickly installed. Soon, I heard howls. Turns out that 10.4.0 was quite buggy. (We kept a box or two on Panther for testing, but everyone’s primary laptops were upgraded by their respective owners). Lucky me for not upgrading.🙂

After 10.4.1 came out, the howls went away. Apparently not for everyone, though, as Jeremy Zawodny is having big problems of his own.

I’m dying to upgrade, beacause the geek in me can’t help it, but it sounds like it’s still not worth the hassle. I’ve been telling people for years that Mac OS X is the best OS on the planet, but maybe it’s backsliding a little? Anyone else still having major problems?

Categories: smugmug
  1. JT
    July 11, 2005 at 1:17 pm

10.4.2 is coming soon, and it is Apple’s goal to make this patch perfect and have 100% of all known bugs fixed, just you wait! Should be this week or next.

Oh, and Jeremy updated his blog, looks like it was some bad kernel extensions for his drive.

2. July 14, 2005 at 1:15 pm

Don’t want to burst your bubble, but 10.4.2 will not fix 100% of all known bugs in Tiger. It will fix a lot, but never all of them.

3. Ben
    July 21, 2005 at 9:33 pm

10.4.2 is a lot better. Not perfect of course, but much better. But really, Panther was the same way–didn’t hit it’s stride until like version 3 or 4. I’m definitely in the “it’s all relative” camp. The tiny little issues I may have with Tiger are MINUSCULE compared to even the now “mature” Windows XP. So go ahead, upgrade now! You’ll love it. ; )

4. Dan
    July 29, 2005 at 3:25 pm

Don’t do it! It has caused innumerable problems, irritations, and slowdowns with my Powerbook G4 1.25 with 1.5G of memory. An absolute nightmare.

I finally had to disable Dashboard. Invoking it was slow and made the computer feel slower no matter what I was doing. The Weather client crashed constantly. Weather for Tokyo disappeared and never came back. Hate Dashboard.

I’m now on 10.4.1 and can’t upgrade to 10.4.2 because that upgrade broke SMB file access on our Windows Servers.

Yeah, and sometimes Safari 2.0 goes to 100% processor while it’s loading pages. Hope you don’t need to do anything else while the pages render.

Sorry if I sound bitter. I am because I am used to good experiences from Apple. What I wouldn’t give to go back to Panther.😦

5. Bret
    August 2, 2005 at 6:32 pm

I have NO problems with 10.4.2 … and run many external devices … scanners, cameras, printers (4 different ones) … I run os 9 applications that will even print while started through 10.4

I will, however … say that I have had multiple problems with Maxtor drives. As in, they are buggy as heck and die a lot as firewire drives. They should loose their Maxtor disk tools, as they suck … (I think I had 4 Maxtors die before I started buying other types).

So .. it may be a Maxtor bug rather than an apple bug?

6. November 15, 2009 at 10:27 am

Cool stuff. Keep up the good work. opponents can fetch soldier

1. No trackbacks yet.