Home > business, smugmug, web 2.0 > Bubble 2.0: Buckle up!

Bubble 2.0: Buckle up!

October 8, 2005

So I just got back from the Web 2.0 conference and there’s definitely a new bubble in the making. Let me first say that the conference was great, the organizers did a good job, I learned a lot and networked plenty. I achieved my goals, and the organizers achieved theirs. It’s not their fault that we’re watching The Return of the Bubble.

But that doesn’t stop the conference from feeling like Bubble 2.0 is coming. Marc Hedlund at O’Reilly seems to think we’re all wrong for thinking that there’s a bubble, but his rationale doesn’t address the biggest indicator: no real business models.

There were a lot of neat ideas at the conference. No killer apps, but the truth is that killer apps take time and they begin as neat ideas. eBay didn’t happen overnight. So lots of neat ideas = cool.

There was a lot of money at the conference. I ran into more VC than I could count, all looking for neat ideas that could become killer apps. That’s good, too, because neat ideas often need capital to become killer apps. Not always, and I think less often these days than in the 90s, but still fairly often. So lots of money in search of neat ideas = cool.

But after talking to at least a hundred guys with ideas and a hundred guys with money, I didn’t hear a single solid business model. Furthermore, there were no speakers on the agenda who even addressed this vital issue.

Most common business model? “Grow fast, get acquired.” (Heard that one before, have you?). Second most common business model? “Slap Adwords on it.” Third most common? Oh, wait, that was as far as it went. I’m sure there were companies there who were selling things to consumers, or doing subscriptions, or doing added service and support. I was there, afterall, and I’m sure there were others. But they weren’t a blip on the radar, let alone the majority.

So my bottom-line takeaway from the conference is that smugmug is even more special than I’d realized. We not only have a business model that works, but it’s been working for years. We have our hedgehog strategy and we’re sticking to it.

Categories: business, smugmug, web 2.0
  1. October 9, 2005 at 8:28 am

The new bubble has been rising for some time, IMO – ever since the Google IPO, it seems that a growing investment hysteria has been rising around the big internet companies again – and again, it’s built on expectations, rather than delivered goods.

2. October 12, 2005 at 11:05 am

I have to say that I too believe a bubble is growing. I don’t know if it will get as out-of-control as it did with Ver. 1.0 but then that would go against the technology trend of bigger, bigger, bigger with each “version update” or is that bloated, bloated, bloated. Present company is firmly excluded. Your changes seem to be of a very reasonable and cautious nature. You are after all affecting all of our photos with any changes you make. Photos are personal and I am sure that some use your site for archival purposes. Anyway, if they are failing to even present the very modest idea of what their business model will be then they are in trouble. I don’t just blame the Google IPO, I think everyone thinks they can do what Google does which is offer products for free. I don’t know if Google can do it, at least for any length of time. Microsoft, one of the worlds largest companies and king of the hill in Technology money doesn’t give away much for free and only what they deem necessary. Some products can achieve success and be free, FireFox for example but that is done on people’s free time with the exception of a very small group adn they are subsidized by a few large companies. I guess you could call them the NASCAR of technology. We shall see in the end, but if I were an investor… I would be very careful where I put my money. I think it will be the current players who take the new technology and run with it.

3. October 23, 2007 at 4:20 am

Check out what the government is pushing in Mobile Content. Maybe we can catch up with the rest of the worl in terms of cell phones.

4. November 2, 2007 at 1:19 am

5. December 16, 2007 at 11:18 pm

The fabulous world of sports was revolutionized by the development of sports betting industry.

6. December 13, 2008 at 11:40 am

7. January 4, 2009 at 7:28 am

Уважаемые Дамы и Господа.
    Интернет-бутик элитных сортов чая и кофе “Бутик Вкуса” (www.Butik-Vkusa.ru) предлагает Вашему вниманию широкий ассортимент весового чая, кофе, а также большой ассортимент сладостей (тростниковый сахар, сиропы, варенья).
    Наш интернет-бутик осуществляет доставку заказанных товаров по Москве в течении 1-2 рабочих дней.

8. January 12, 2009 at 6:27 am

Hack again?!

9. January 20, 2009 at 6:12 am

Скачать бесплатно базу форумов объемом 202 356 адресов для быстрой регистрации сайтов на форумах, раскрутки и продвижения интернет-проектов с помощью программ XRumer, Allsubmitter и других.

10. AdoloFedApest
    January 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm

As many of you may or may not know, I love food. New Jersey: Applicants under 18 can marry if both parents consent to the marriage. How you treat the other person determines how that person will respond to you. Then she began to love him. If you are under 16 years of age, you will need both the written consent of your custodial parent or guardian and the written approval of a judge of the Orphans’ Court Division of the Court of Common Pleas.

11. February 13, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Hi all!

am I in the right spot? probably not oh well, I am in need of a site to Meet Sexy Locals in my city? Where can I find such a site, please suggest me one.

12. March 4, 2009 at 11:21 am

Sorry, but i have a question. Where can i find games and download it for free?
    Thanx for answers.

13. Splicer
    March 5, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Компания окажет услуги по монтажу и сварке ВОЛС.
    Мы быстро и оперативно решим вашу проблему.
    Качество и оперативность выполнения работ достигается нами при помощи квалифицированных специалистов в области монтажа волоконно-оптических соединительных изделий.
    Работы проводятся с использованием автоматических сварочных аппаратов Fujikura s50 и Fujikura s60, которые являются флагманами ведущей мировой компании.
    При необходимости мы можем дополнительно провести замеры параметров волоконно-оптической линии при помощи рефлектометров Yokogawa AQ7261 и FOD 7003, что даст вам дополнительное подтверждение качества проделанных работ.

Компания окажет услуги по подключению цифрового спутникового телевидения.
    На сегодняшний день при помощи установленных нами антен вы сможете смотреть 34 телевизионных канала, из которых 20 являются бесплатными.
    Стоимость комплекта подключения (ресивер, конвертор, антенна , карта “Старт”) – 8500 руб.

Абонентская плата:
    0 руб./год. – Инфоканал, Первый, Россия, НТВ, Культура, ТНТ, Спорт, Вести, Петербург, РЕН ТВ, Бибигон, CTC, Союз
    400 руб./год. – Кинопоказ, Дом Кино, Много ТВ, Комедия ТВ, Индия
    400 руб./год. – Teen TV, Веселое ТВ, Телепутешествия, Зоо ТВ, Авто+, 365 дней ТВ, Боец
    500 руб./год. – Ночной клуб, Русская ночь
    600 руб./год. – Teen TV, Веселое ТВ, Телепутешествия, Зоо ТВ, Авто+, 365 дней ТВ, Боец, Кинопоказ, Дом Кино, Много ТВ, Комедия ТВ, Индия
    0 руб./год. – Мать и дитя, Теленяня, ДТВ, ТВ Центр, Муз ТВ, Домашний, Тонус ТВ (Бонус при условии подключения платных каналов).

Контактная информация:
    почтовый ящик – splicer@bk.ru
    ICQ – 426245530

14. November 15, 2009 at 10:28 am

Cool stuff. Keep up the good work. opponents can fetch soldier

15. kllkjlkjl
    January 9, 2010 at 2:10 am

MTS Converter is an excellent mts conversion software that can convert mts files to other video and audio formats. In addition, The MTS Converter can convert mts, ts, trp hd video files perfectly and quickly.

1. August 16, 2006 at 2:29 am