Home > web 2.0 > Scoble @ The Ritz

Scoble @ The Ritz

August 21, 2006

My wife and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary (and first overnighter away from the twins!) last weekend. During lunch on Saturday, I spied a Google hat across the room and recognized the face beneath – Robert Scoble. I don’t know how we kept passing in the night at tech conferences, but we’d never met. I ambled on over and introduced myself and met Jeremy Wright as well.

Robert Scoble and Jeremy Wright enjoying Mojitos and sushi at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay.

You never know what to expect when you meet high-profile geek bloggers (I’ve been disappointed by more than a few), but I gotta tell you, Scoble is The Real Deal – a truly nice guy. Nice guys are rarer than they should be in the Valley, but Scoble was warm, friendly, funny and personable. Later that afternoon, while my wife caught some Zs, we had fun filming the inaurugal Mojito Show. I’m hoping I can make a repeat appearance this Saturday, but we’ll see.

Jeremy was fun, too, and sounds like he’s built an interesting business around blogging (and did it fast – only 11 months) with b5media. Oh, and he’s got a great business card with plenty of attitude.

Best part of the interview? Scoble said something like “Wait, you’re profitable? You can’t be Web 2.0!”. 🙂

Categories: web 2.0
  1. August 22, 2006 at 2:42 am

I’m convinced Jeremy is trying to lay an egg in this shot🙂

2. August 24, 2006 at 12:05 am

So…let me get this right?

You are on your anniversary…first time away from the babies…romantic time.

And you spend an hour with Robert and Jeremy? Hey, they are great guys, but seriously, that’s how you want to spend that special day.😉 Even me, being the geek girl would have to take issue with an hour cut into romantic time.

I tell ya…if your wife understood that, I’d say you had better hold onto her forever. You have one heckuva wife there.

3. Robert Scoble
    September 3, 2006 at 10:34 am

Tara, she is pretty awesome. Maryam is the same way and I won’t give her up either.

4. September 3, 2006 at 10:38 am

She was asleep after a wonderful day at the spa. Since I wasn’t sleepy, I snuck out to geek out.

I think my wife will vouch for the level of my romanticism on a regular basis, but especially on Anniversary at the Ritz weekend. There are benefits to marrying a geek… we’re very attentive. 🙂

1. August 22, 2006 at 12:09 am