Home > business, personal, smugmug, web 2.0 > Google – Please please please support email aliases!

Google – Please please please support email aliases!

February 13, 2007

If anyone from Google is reading this, please, hear my plea!

I, like many people, have more than one email address. One for work, one for home. It’s nice to keep them separate. I’m sure you know what I mean.

I also like to use Google’s services, such as Calendar or Docs. Since I use multiple computers, it’s nice to have stuff centralized out on the net. I’ve wanted this for decades.

But my friends & co-workers don’t always know which email address to send meeting invitations or document permissions to. So I get a Calendar invite or a Docs link, and click on it, and I’m greeted with “Sorry, you don’t have permission to use this.” WTF? I clicked on the unique link in my email, and I’m already logged into Google, what do you mean I don’t have access? Oh, duh, they used my personal email address instead of my work email address. Crap.

So I’m left with two choices: Just not interact with Google on this particular event or document (most likely) or email the party back and ask them to resend (least likely).

Please, Google, let me add email aliases (yes, verify that I actually own them first) to my Google Account so all your services will recognize me from my multiple email addresses. Pretty please? With a cherry on top?

Oh, and it’d be nice if our years-old application to Google Apps for Your Domain was accepted too, but that seems to have gone into the void. Doh.

Categories: business, personal, smugmug, web 2.0
  1. February 13, 2007 at 1:15 pm

Don – have you tried re-submitting your Google Apps request? I, too, submitted a request when the service was in very early beta and never heard back about it. A month or so ago, I re-submitted the original request along with several other new requests. I got acceptance emails back within hours for all of them.

…just an idea.

2. February 13, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Yeah, I signed up again just a month or so ago. But I just did it for the 3rd time. Maybe 3rd time’s the charm? 🙂

3. February 13, 2007 at 2:04 pm

amen brotha, i second this request. it’s annoying to have to login/out when people share docs with you using a non-gmail email address. they already have the ability to link analytics and adwords accts to a gmail acct… can’t be too hard to do it w/ the other services. i’m sending this thread to my man Tom Leung at google- hopefully he can make something happen on this front.

4. February 13, 2007 at 2:21 pm

You know I just signed up for one today, and they have a completely new system. It is not an application anymore.
    You sign up and get in instantly, then you publish a file on your domain and google cross checks it to know you own it. Try it today if you haven’t yet. Besides wait too long and they might charge you for it.

5. February 13, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Wow, yes, I completely agree with the Google email alias issue. Taking it one step further: I have a gmail email address attached to my gmail account. However, I primarily use a different email address on a daily basis. However, it seems impossible to get emails from Google Calendar or Google Groups to go to my non-gmail account. Short of starting a second Google account (and be forever logging in and out), I see no way of using these email notification features. Which is a real shame!

6. February 13, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Dead right Don. I had a Google Account through GMail for awhile and then got an application to Google Apps For Your Domain.

I now have two Calendars, two Readers, two email systems and so on. I also have my work email and work people tend to use that so when they send me Calendar invites I can’t link it into my GMail or my GAFYD accounts.

7. February 13, 2007 at 3:11 pm

I signed up today (again) and they said “thanks for applying, we’ve added you to the list” or something.

Then I got an email from their system saying they couldn’t add my domain because someone else already claimed it.

So I’m not sure where that leaves me. 🙂

8. February 13, 2007 at 6:03 pm

I have a personal email address, a couple of business email addresses, and a blogging email address. Right now, I use Microsoft Outlook, and I can send and receive email under all identities with just a click or two. Until I can do the same thing with gmail, it will just be a curiousity for me.

Back before Google integrated their authentication system, I signed up at different sites under different identities. Until there’s some way for me to tell Google “all of these are me and they should share all resources and authorizations,” I’ll never be able to use it as a web operating system.

9. February 14, 2007 at 3:58 pm

Hey Don,

Yes, we’re reading. Well, okay, so I’m a Googler who is not on the Gmail / Google Apps for Your Domain (“GAFYD”) teams, but I’ll forward on your suggestions in case they haven’t already caught your entry here. And yes, I agree with you that aliases could be handy (they’re already available in a more limited form in GAFYD).

As for your challenges getting started with GAFYD… definitely sorry to hear that! Drop me a note (particularly with info about what domain you’ve tried to set up with us) and I’ll do what I can to get things straightened out.

10. February 14, 2007 at 7:54 pm

Wow, Adam to the rescue again…🙂 In the middle of October, Adam Lasnik and Matt Cutts came to my rescue when my Gmail account was hijacked. Google *is* listening, with Adam’s ears, it seems. Cheers to Google and to your request, Don. I, too, hope for aliases.

11. February 14, 2007 at 8:36 pm