Home > business, smugmug, web 2.0 > Bye Yahoo Photos – Hello Flickr (and SmuggLr)!

Bye Yahoo Photos – Hello Flickr (and SmuggLr)!

May 4, 2007

I got an email months ago saying that the author had written TechCrunch, GigaOM, and Valleywag about Yahoo Photos closing and that they’d ignored it completely. Given that Valleywag posts just about any rumor and that it hadn’t gotten posted, plus Yahoo Photos was so huge, I figured someone was just trying to get me to look stupid on my blog.

Guess not. USA Today broke the story that Yahoo Photo is on it’s way out. TechCrunch has followed up with a post on the subject. One wonders, though, if they wish they’d listened to that email a few months ago? (I know I do!) And where on earth was Valleywag?

The text of the email in question contained a reference to Yahoo only providing migration mechanisms to a single “Web 2.0” company, Yahoo-owned Flickr, and all of the other options being old “Web 1.0” dinosaurs like Kodak and Shutterfly. That seemed brilliant, to me, from a purely business perspective, but poor from a consumer perspective. As great as Flickr is (and I do believe Flickr is great), it’s not perfect for everyone.

They deserve kudos for allowing any non-Flickr migration at all, but the really awesome way to handle this would have been to let any service integrate as a migration partner. (Remember, I’m the CEO & Chief Geek at SmugMug, so I’m biased all over the place!). Rumor has it we were actually up for consideration, but the decision went against us. D’oh!

Regardless, if you give Flickr a try and don’t like it for whatever reason, SmugMug still has a Flickr Refugee 50% Discount in effect. Plus you can use tools like SmuggLr to seamlessly move your photos over.

Part of me is sad, like we’re witnessing the end of an era. So many of the big old photo sharing sites are dead and gone. I believe there are only 6 big ones left from the pre-SmugMug days. Can you name them all?

Categories: business, smugmug, web 2.0
  1. May 4, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I know only 3 that were around before you for certain:

2. May 4, 2007 at 2:16 pm

We were around long before Photobucket or ImageShack, so I gotta ding you on those. 🙂

But PBase is one of the 6 I was thinking of. 1 point!

3. Jeff
    May 4, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Ofoto (Kodak Gallery)
    dot photo

4. Liz
    May 4, 2007 at 8:40 pm

Just wanted to say how cute I think the name “SmuggLr” is. Who thought of that? My ingenious and irresistible hubby?

5. Jimmy
    May 4, 2007 at 9:38 pm

I’m sure Flickr is here to stay. The move from Yahoo Photos to Flickr is a result of a synergistic deal. Ultimately, Yahoo users will benefit from a single. consolidated photo hosting site.

SmuggLR does not migrate photos from Yahoo Photos to Smugmug and the introduction of it in your post is merely an attempt of yours to take advantage of the (irrelevant) situation.

Despite that, the migration discount is a good way forward for those who have been considering Smugmug for a while but perhaps at the same time are hoping for some incentive to do so. In fact, any tool that aims to migrate from elsewhere to Smugmug can only be seen as a positive lure.

6. May 4, 2007 at 10:14 pm

I hadn’t included dotPhoto in the list, because I don’t think they’ve ever been “big”, but you got 4 of the others, so plus Justin’s Photobucket guess, we’ve got 5.

Only one left.

7. May 4, 2007 at 10:16 pm

I think I was pretty clear when I said “I do believe Flickr is great” and “If you give Flickr a try and don’t like it”. I wasn’t suggesting that SmuggLr moves from Yahoo Photos to SmugMug – I was suggesting that people try Flickr out, and then if it’s not for them, they give us a shot.

I think that’s fair. You don’t?

8. Jay
    May 5, 2007 at 5:00 am

I’m a bit late to this game, but…

fotki I’m sure is the last name you’re looking for.

Of course, you can’t forget ImageStation.com🙂

9. May 5, 2007 at 10:03 am

ImageStation was the last one I was thinking of, and had completely forgotten about Fotki. Bonus points for Fotki! 🙂

10. Barbara
    May 24, 2007 at 7:25 pm

OK but have you tried to find out HOW to move your photos? Yahoo’s instructions take you everywhere around the houses except to give you instructions on how to do it. Deliberately disingenuous.

11. dietrich
    August 20, 2007 at 11:27 am

Flickr has a killer app called jiveslide (www.jiveslide.com) for viewing all your flickr stored photos on your blackberry when mobile (useful for sharing with people). does smugmug have anything like this? thanks!

12. December 7, 2008 at 11:41 pm

mlm leads

13. November 21, 2009 at 9:55 am

flickr has a great load of quality photos.. and they can only be compared with devianart

1. July 10, 2007 at 5:51 pm