Home > iphone > Stupid iPhone!@#$

Stupid iPhone!@#$

July 27, 2007

Ok, love my iPhone, but that just means that when it lets me down, I’m even more upset. Passion’s funny that way. Here we go:

1. Bought a season pass to LOST on iTunes Music Store so I can catch up.
  2. Loving watching it on my AppleTV in my home theater.
  3. Want to sync episodes to my iPhone to watch on-the-go. I’ve watched up to episode 16.
  4. Selected “All unwatched” and hit Sync.
  5. “Not enough space” error. Fair enough, it’s only 8GB.
  6. Selected “3 most recent unwatched” and hit Sync.
  7. Ended up with Episodes 24, 23, and 22!
  8. Realized “Most recent” is useless because what you really want is “Next in line by episode #”
  9. Realized that there’s absolutely no way to get episodes 16, 17, and 18 onto my iPhone short of manually editing playlists, which gets really tedious.
  10. Blogged about it, because it’s the only way I can vent.

Basically, you can’t watch TV on the thing. Because you can’t drag shows to it (like you can with an iPod), you can’t sync them (because it sync’s them in wrong order), and it doesn’t have enough storage to “Sync All”. Even Smart Playlists don’t work, because you can’t have a formula that orders by episode #.

Isn’t this stuff supposed to *slurping noise* Just Work?

Has anyone smarter than I thought of a solution? Please share!

UPDATE: The magic Smart Playlist recipe to make this behave, thanks to reader Nick T, is as follows:

• Show is ‘LOST’
  • Play Count is ‘0’
  • Limit to 3 items selected by album

Still not great, but much improved. Thanks Nick!

Categories: iphone
  1. Nick T
    July 27, 2007 at 12:40 am

Could you create a Smart Playlist that selects all Lost episodes, then add the following options:

* Play count is 0

* Limit 3 items selected by least recently added

This seems to work for podcasts for me in iTunes, although I don’t have an iPhone.

2. July 27, 2007 at 12:51 am

@Nick T: You might be onto something, but that particular formula isn’t working, possibly because iTunes downloaded them out-of-order or something.

I ended up with episodes 16, 20, and 21 for some reason.

3. Nick N
    July 27, 2007 at 1:03 am

Can’t play with an iPhone (based in UK) but does it not sync in the same way as the TV? If not it ought to.

4. Nick T
    July 27, 2007 at 1:08 am

Here’s another idea…
    Instead of Limit 3 items selected by least recently added do “Limit 3 items selected by album”.
    At least in my test cases this sorts the items within the album by their album ordering (which for shows should be show ordering). So this in conjunction with “playcount is 0” should get the lowest numbered episodes that haven’t been played.

5. July 27, 2007 at 1:17 am

@Nick N: Well, it can’t really, because the TV has a bigger HDD. Plus it can stream still even when it’s full.

Maybe a full TV has this same problem, I don’t know.

6. July 27, 2007 at 1:17 am

@Nick T: Eureka! That worked! Thanks! Editing to update now…

7. July 27, 2007 at 10:53 am

Dude, seriously. Why can’t I drag and drop stuff from iTunes into my iPhone? That playlist business is just plain…unusable. I feel your pain.

1. No trackbacks yet.