Ok, love my iPhone, but that just means that when it lets me down, I’m even more upset. Passion’s funny that way. Here we go:
- Bought a season pass to LOST on iTunes Music Store so I can catch up.
- Loving watching it on my AppleTV in my home theater.
- Want to sync episodes to my iPhone to watch on-the-go. I’ve watched up to episode 16.
- Selected “All unwatched” and hit Sync.
- “Not enough space” error. Fair enough, it’s only 8GB.
- Selected “3 most recent unwatched” and hit Sync.
- Ended up with Episodes 24, 23, and 22!
- Realized “Most recent” is useless because what you really want is “Next in line by episode #”
- Realized that there’s absolutely no way to get episodes 16, 17, and 18 onto my iPhone short of manually editing playlists, which gets really tedious.
- Blogged about it, because it’s the only way I can vent.
Basically, you can’t watch TV on the thing. Because you can’t drag shows to it (like you can with an iPod), you can’t sync them (because it sync’s them in wrong order), and it doesn’t have enough storage to “Sync All”.
Even Smart Playlists don’t work, because you can’t have a formula that orders by episode #.
Isn’t this stuff supposed to *slurping noise* Just Work?
Has anyone smarter than I thought of a solution? Please share!
UPDATE: The magic Smart Playlist recipe to make this behave, thanks to reader Nick T, is as follows:
- Show is ‘LOST’
- Play Count is ‘0’
- Limit to 3 items selected by album
Still not great, but much improved. Thanks Nick!