Home > iphone, smugmug > iPhone, SDK, SmugMug

iPhone, SDK, SmugMug

April 2, 2008
SmugMug on iPhone

Been getting lots of questions about the iPhone SDK in general, and a SmugMug app in specific. Unfortunately, I think we’re covered by all kinds of NDAs so I can’t say much, but here are some of my thoughts:

• The iPhone SDK is a monster, huge, awesome thing. It once again leapfrogs Apple’s phone way way ahead of all of the competition. Just watch – the scope and breadth of the apps that’ll be available is going to take your breath away. And they can’t run anywhere else, because all the other phone companies have been ignoring us developers for years. They’re all scrambling around, now, though.
  • The iPhone Apps Store is a bigger deal even than the SDK. Yes, you heard me right. Currently all the buzz is coming from developers, but since I wear both developer and CEO hats, I can tell you the deployment and business side is at least as critical. Being able to easily and rapidly get software and updates to your customers is a nasty problem, and the fact that Apple’s solved it for all of us is a huge, huge win.
  • The combination of the two is where the real magic happens, obviously. I can’t imagine anyone else doing something quite as integrated anytime soon.
  • We are building a SmugMug app. It’s already in the works. Of course, it’ll be free. And of course, it’ll be awesome. I don’t think we can say anything else, though.
  • No, this doesn’t mean the end of our iPhone interface for on-phone Safari web browsing. We’ll keep developing it, and we’ll keep integrating your feature suggestions.

If you have any suggestions as to what you’d like to see in a SmugMug native iPhone app, here’s your chance. Leave me a comment. 🙂

Categories: iphone, smugmug Tags: , , , ,
  1. April 2, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Hurray! I love SmugMug and I can’t wait to see what you guys have cooking for the IPhone.

I’ve noticed SmugMug has gotten more and more Mac friendly over the last few years. Have you guys always been Mac users or are you recent converts?

2. April 2, 2008 at 3:45 pm

@Paul Robinson:

We’ve always been Mac fanatics (well, ok, since Mac OS X – we have ex-NeXT employees and fanboys in the house), but the recent market acceptance has made it even easier. 🙂

Most SmugMug employees get Mac Pros and MacBook Pros as their work machines, even if they’re gonna run Vista or XP…

3. April 2, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Only one suggestion:

I have more than 100 albums. Please allow access to them via the categories and sub-categories. Just having a list of albums in random (?) order like the web app is pretty much useless.

Other than that, I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with.

4. April 2, 2008 at 8:21 pm

How can you say “all the other phone companies have been ignoring us developers for years”… have you never used the .NET Compact Framework? Yes, Windows Mobile is a far cry from the iPhone UI but their developer support is top-notch!

5. Seann G
    April 2, 2008 at 8:38 pm

That rocks, can’t wait to see the SmugMug app. Could you also convince Apple to get a plug-in for the Apple TV?

Keep up the great work.

PS – Keep twittering

6. April 2, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Don, I had already started a draft of a blog post on this very topic, so I just polished it up and published it instead. Sadly blogger doesn’t grok trackbacks: http://cabbey-blog.blogspot.com/2008/04/bluesky-smugpalm.html

7. mcj
    April 3, 2008 at 10:00 am

Being able to browse private albums in an iphone-friendly interface would be quite handy.

8. April 3, 2008 at 10:35 am

If iphone was available outside of At&T I would buy…

9. April 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm

I’d like to second being able to browse the passworded galleries on the iPhone.

10. April 3, 2008 at 2:04 pm

@toby johnson

I’ve been asking other mobile companies for a unified store and software delivery service for years. To date, not one that I’m aware of offers anything close.

Am I missing one? Does Microsoft have some magic mechanism I’ve never seen before?

11. April 3, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Gotcha.. in the first paragraph I thought you were talking about just the SDK. You’re right about the app delivery piece, it’s been tragically absent for too long.

12. April 4, 2008 at 11:12 am

A new version of the iPhone web interface with login/logout (and thus, browsing of unlisted and passworded galleries if you’re the owner) plus browsing by Category is currently in testing, thanks to your feedback here.

Hopefully we can ship it today, but if not today, sometime very soon. I’ll try to blog about it when it ships.

Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming!

13. April 5, 2008 at 5:49 am

I stumbled on SMUGMUG through Leo Laporte on Twitter. Didn’t know what it was. That’ll tell you a lot. I’m always the last one to know anything. Haven’t made up my mind yet but first glance says it’s the slickest thing since the roadside mailbox. I am considering a trial to see if things are faster than .mac at similar functions. I like the interface a lot. Later.

Jerry H

14. April 8, 2008 at 11:19 am

Post to choice of gallery with choice of resolution from iPhone camera is what I would love to see in a smugmug iPhone app, adding the caption via the iPhone when posting the photo would be ideal. The quazi-auto cellular geotaging that twitxr is doing would be a nice touch. The other features I’d like to see may come from the site itself I suppose, but I would sure like to then have photo and caption pushed out to other sites like twitter, facebook, pownce, ect..

15. May 7, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Really need to be able to access my smugmug site via Apple TV – which is fantastic! ETA for this? Thanks!

16. Narwhal
    June 8, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I’d like to 3rd the request for access to smugmug through appleTV.

17. June 14, 2008 at 11:52 pm

I’d like to add another request for access to Smugmug through Apple TV. I am uploading a copy of my Smugmug photos to my wife’s Flickr Pro account just so we can watch our photos on Apple TV. Thanks!

18. November 6, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Love it! You got me so excited to get one and start shooting video!

1. April 6, 2008 at 3:14 am