Home > API, smugmug > SmugMug loves OAuth

SmugMug loves OAuth

June 11, 2008
Caitlin Ann Parry

SmugMug’s API now supports OAuth! We actually rolled out support a few weeks ago, but our documentation has turned into such a mess, I delayed announcing it. Finally, though, I just couldn’t keep quiet – I’m so excited I just had to tell someone!

So I’m sorry the docs are all messed up – they’re in multiple locations and out of date. We’ve been working hard on re-writing them to make them easier to understand and more clear but we’re not quite done yet. David, though, has a great excuse for why we’re behind – you’re looking at her! His beautiful daughter, Caitlin Ann, was born at roughly the same time as our OAuth support shipped. He’s had his hands full. 🙂

So go read the new docs on OAuth, the old docs on the rest of the API, and the dgrin API forum so you can get cracking on your own OAuth services and apps. Hopefully lots of the 1200+ apps our awesome developers have already created will adopt it quickly.

For those who don’t know, OAuth is an open standard for secure authentication. It allows applications and services to authenticate to SmugMug and other OAuth-enabled APIs without needed to know or store the users’ sensitive login and password information. I imagine at some point OAuth might become the *only* way to authenticate to our API, so I’d at least start playing with it now.

Your photos are yours, not ours – long live open standards and data portability!

UPDATE: I should have noted that this is totally useable now, you don’t have to wait for the docs update. It’s just mildly painful to go between a few different locations to find all the documentation. This is on a new Beta API branch, 1.2.2, so you’ll need to use 1.2.2 endpoints.

1. June 11, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Hey Don, great news on OAuth support. Any chance you’ll be adding OpenID support?

Cheers, Brian

2. June 11, 2008 at 4:04 pm

@Brian Kissel

Yes! If you hop in your time machine and go back to February 23rd, 2007 you can relive when we launched support:

For good measure, we support XFN, FOAF, RSS, Atom, and all sorts of other portability-friendly things:

And yes, now that OpenID 2.0 is a released spec, you can expect us to support it “soon”.

3. June 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm

As the author of a couple SmugMug API applications (and more to come) I couldn’t agree more — your docs are a mess. I’d argue it’s more than “mildly painful” at times so I’m thrilled to hear you acknowledge it and look forward to seeing the improvements.

Now off to implement OAuth for http://code.google.com/p/pysmug (already 1.2.2 compliant) and friends.

thanks, brian

4. October 1, 2008 at 5:59 pm

might want to ping your dir of ops, his blog is down

error id: “bad_httpd_conf”

5. November 6, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Love it! You got me so excited to get one and start shooting video!

6. asdfasdfsad
    January 10, 2010 at 6:38 am

This all-in-one Blu ray Video Converter helps you rip movies from Blu-ray disc and convert Blu-ray M2TS video to HD videos like HD AVI, HD DivX/Xvid, HD MP4, MOV, HD WMV, and general videos like AVI, WMV, MPEG, MP4, MOV, ASF, FLV, MKV, SWF and other formats with high quality. This Blu-ray Video Converter also helps extract audio from Blu-ray movies and convert to MP3, WMA, AAC, M4A and other files.

1. June 26, 2008 at 10:07 pm