Home > apple, smugmug, web browsers > Nasty Safari bug not fixed since December :(

Nasty Safari bug not fixed since December :(

March 26, 2009
A rotten little apple

A rotten little apple by Ashley Harding

Apple has had a nasty Safari bug since December which breaks SmugMug, Facebook, Gmail, and lots of US banks.

3 months later, it’s still not fixed. Your only option is to use Firefox if you’re affected.

Apple’s known about the problem since December, and has lots of internal bugs on the issue (30+ I last heard). (For my Apple readers, here’s our bug on the subject and the one it was marked as a duplicate of).

I’ve done everything I know how to get this resolved – Apple employees have been internally working on our behalf, we have an AppleCare Enterprise Support case open (#332101), I tried to open an ADC Premier case (it was denied because they don’t “provide code-level support for content creation issues” whatever that means). Still no luck.

Apparently this is fixed in Mac OS X 10.5.7. We have the latest seed, so we’re going to find out, but 10.5.7 is likely a month or more away from shipping, so expect this stuff to be be broken at least until then. Use Firefox.

Safari happens to be my favorite browser, so this is especially disheartening. The good news is you may not be affected. Not everyone running 10.5.6 with Safari is, for some reason, but lots of you are. You’ll know you are if you see SmugMug galleries which appear to be empty (but aren’t) or see ugly white pages with undecipherable error messages. For that, I apologize – I really wish we could help but we can’t. You can help yourself, though – use Firefox.

Put another way, Eric Schmidt, Google’s CEO, sits on Apple’s board of directors. Gmail has also been broken for 3 months. Apparently he’s powerless too. 😦

1. Don
    March 26, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Strange, I've seen the bug several times, mostly empty galleries, but I refresh, and it's fixed.

I just assumed it was a network issue..

Still using Safari, gmail, smugmug with no real problems that a quick refresh doesn't cure. Nice to know the issue may go away when 10.5.7 comes out though..

2. cbe
    March 26, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Pretty sure this has been fixed in Gmail for a while. I haven't experienced it there for weeks (and I was seeing it very regularly prior to that)…

3. March 26, 2009 at 5:01 pm

It is truly amazing they've let this go so long. It reflects very poorly on them. I will say, I consider it pathetic and painful, but I have remained using Safari as my primary browser, and indeed, as Don said, hitting, in my case *force* refresh tends to load any affected pages. I have not noticed this in the Webkit Nightly builds, but that may be because I primarily use those for my development work (main regular Safari browser in one "space" (in Spaces), Webkit Nightly running in another space for dev testing, etc.

4. March 26, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Can you toss the details into OpenRadar (http://openradar.appspot.com)? That helps other people file those duplicates – I'm curious about the cause as I haven't seen much about this on the Mac support lists or in personal experience (multiple machines, all 10.5.6 using most of the sites mentioned) which raises the hope that some local config change can avoid the bug.

5. Matt Johnson
    March 26, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Is the Safari 4 Beta affected by this too?

• Ross Prohaska
      April 24, 2009 at 3:49 am

Yes this is also a problem on Safari 4 as I am having problems with other people who cannot purchase any of my photos. It's downright frustrating.

6. Kenya
    March 26, 2009 at 7:16 pm

That explains some weirdness. I guess it's back to Camino!

7. March 27, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Only Apple would have the audacity to require an operating system update to fix a *browser* bug.

8. RobinM
    March 27, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for this helpful post!

9. George Abbott White
    March 28, 2009 at 9:08 pm

I can't view my gallery properly. My past organization of images is whacked. All I get is one medium pix on the left, nothing on the right; can't advance through the images past 6-8 images, even if the file contains 170! This appears to be the same for 50+ gallery and 8000 pix. Prior arrangement was large pix on right, thumbnails in three rows on left.What's this got to do with Safari and Apple OS?

10. March 28, 2009 at 11:02 pm

It is nice to know that I am not the only one who has been less than enamored by Safari. I often chuckle when people ask me why the company I work for gets comments of why don't you support more OS's. Well it is difficult enough to support one OS and a few applications.

11. Eric
    March 29, 2009 at 2:12 am

This is the only site I have problems with using Safari.

12. Leonard Hobbs
    April 3, 2009 at 1:53 pm

This is not only impacts the account holder but also those you are attempting to share your galleries with who run Macs. Guess we have to notify everyone who is using a Mac to download Firefox. What a pain.

13. April 15, 2009 at 6:43 am

The style of writing is quite familiar . Did you write guest posts for other bloggers?

14. cabbey
    April 19, 2009 at 2:09 am

Jason, the bug is in CFNetwork, other apps than Safari have been reported as impacted.

15. April 22, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Thanks… glad I'm not crazy. Well… I'm crazy, but glad this isn't the reason…

16. April 23, 2009 at 2:08 am

I had lots of problems with various sites with Safari and just discovered this fix on Apple forums for my problems:

– Reset Safari to delete all Cookies and such
    – Open System Preferences / Network / Advanced …
    – Select DNS
    – Add DNS servers and
    – OK, Apply

I was really frustrated, but now things are zipping!

17. May 4, 2009 at 12:34 am

Fixing your DNS servers may help you, but what about all your customers or potential customers who don't know there is a "bug" with smugmug and safari? Smugmug is the only site that gives me problems with Safari and I am frustrated. I've been building my site and intended to add my domain name when ready but will now wait until this is fixed. It is a pain!

18. Rhet Turnbull
    May 5, 2009 at 12:35 am

Smugmug is the only site that gives me problems. So as far as I'm concerned, it's a Smugmug bug (A smugbug?) The recommend solution "use Firefox" is not a solution. Smugmug should either code a work around (a lot of other sites, including every other site I use, work just fine with 10.5.6 and Safari) or post a technical description as to why you can't. It's disheartening that Apple's so unresponsive on this but it's more disheartening that Smugmug leaves their paying customers out in the cold. You shouldn't have to code around OS bugs, but hey, Microsoft developers have been doing that for years! I use other (free) photo sites that have no problem. I've basically stopped using Smugmug because of this problem.

19. Keith
    May 7, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Yup, I have stopped sharing my smugmug URL. I'll wait for the os release, if not fixed then, I am out of here. And I don't know of any other hosting service that I like as much as smugmug.

20. Phyllis Rhea
    May 9, 2009 at 3:43 am

Mr. MacAskill, You said in this post that users of Gmail and Facebook have been affected by this Safari bug, but I have been using Gmail and Facebook on Safari with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I have only had a problem when trying to use Smug Mug. Period.

It is beyond annoying to be told "use Firefox" in order to see my photos, BUT more importantly, I absolutely will not be asking my family/friends to "use Firefox" to see my photos. I am paying for the privilege of NOT even being able to see my own photos and saying "use Firefox" is just not an answer.

21. Nullrouten
    May 11, 2009 at 4:47 am

I have 3 computers running 10.5.6 and identical versions of Safari, but this only afflicts one of the three. Figure that one out.

22. John Vargas
    May 14, 2009 at 1:55 am

I am still experiencing this problem after installing Mac OS X 10.5.7; what's next?

23. Darryl
    May 14, 2009 at 7:07 am

Things seem better for me on 10.5.7, fingers crossed.

24. May 14, 2009 at 12:34 pm

It does seem to be working now, as of 8:30 am.
    I will keep my fingers crossed also!
    Check out the post here:

25. August 9, 2009 at 10:32 am

26. jake
    August 11, 2009 at 8:01 pm

No comments in 12 weeks? What's the update? All the recent events/problems concerning SmugMug are really scaring away future potential subscribers… like me.

27. November 15, 2009 at 10:31 am

Hey wicked photos! Gotta love moden architecture sometimes.

28. November 22, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Thanks friend.

29. November 23, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Thank’s. I like this site.

30. December 2, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I know MACs do not get near as my bugs as Windows PC's and i think that has cripped Apple for updating their software. This is getting out of hand. Pretty soon Macs will have bugs like PCs. I will be holding off on using Safari for a while. Apple needs to get it together! Thanks for posting!

31. December 5, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Okay. This problem is now fixed. If you downloaded and installed the most recent software update from Apple and are still getting the "BAD REQUEST" error, then simply "Reset Safari, Clear all SmugMug cookies and the Safari Cache, Close and Reopen Safari." That should do it. It did for some! Hope that helps.

32. gfhgfh
    January 9, 2010 at 2:23 am

MTS Converter is an excellent mts conversion software that can convert mts files to other video and audio formats. In addition, The MTS Converter can convert mts, ts, trp hd video files perfectly and quickly.

1. No trackbacks yet.