Home > apple, iphone, smugmug, smugmug releases > SmugShot for iPhone – Shoot, geotag, and upload.

SmugShot for iPhone – Shoot, geotag, and upload.

July 10, 2008

Man, to say I’m excited about this would be a major understatement. We’re huge Apple fanboys over here, so when we got accepted to the first wave of SDK developers at Apple, we were stoked. Shizam went to town almost immediately and after a few months of hard work, SmugShot was born. (And as I’m writing this, we’re #1 in “What’s Hot” on both iTunes and the iPhone interface!)

So what is it? Well, we knew early on we wanted something very simple and elegant that did only one thing – but did it extremely well. We didn’t want a kitchen-sink photo-sharing / -browsing / -taking application. We already have a fantastic iPhone application on Safari, so the obvious thing to tackle first was actually taking the photos on your iPhone and getting them up to SmugMug.

SmugShot makes it incredibly simple to simply whip your phone out at a moment’s notice and take as many snapshots as you’d like. The photos will be automagically geotagged with your location, should you wish it, and you can quickly and easily enter a caption and some keywords – or not. Your call. We’ll queue them up and send them along to the SmugMug gallery of your choice – over EDGE, WiFi, or 3G.

And that’s basically it. Simple, elegant, clean – just the way we like it. If you’re new to SmugMug, you can create a free trial account right from SmugShot. You can set up a default Caption and some default Keywords to make entering them a breeze. And you can even upload photos that are already in your Photo Library, rather than from your camera (and you iPod Touch users can do this, too). One big Apple bug with that, though – the SDK only give us access to 640×480 versions of photos in your Library. I’m hoping they’ll fix that soon.

The really wild thing is how much I actually use the app. I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to things like cameras and lenses, and lets face it – the iPhone’s lens can’t compare to some fabulous Canon glass. But as the app has spread throughout the office, everyone’s learned the same lesson I have: There’s an awful lot of value in convenience.

SmugShot is so shockingly convenient and easy to use, it trumps the limited image quality for almost all of my normal everyday shots.

So go grab it from iTunes, read more about it, or even get some answers. Definitely let us know if you like it and what we can improve on – we already have our own list but would love to hear yours!

Available on the iPhone App Store
  1. Liz
    July 10, 2008 at 11:01 am

Woop! I dig it!

2. Ed
    July 10, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Well, I was on the fence regarding buying an iPhone 3G tomorrow morning. I’ll take your word on it that SmugShot is as good as you say, and tomorrow morning I’ll head out and try to grab an iPhone.🙂

3. July 10, 2008 at 1:16 pm

For some reason Kool-Aid”s stock always rises during Apple events…interesting.

I’ll stick with a Blackberry it has a new invention called a keyboard.

4. July 10, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Randy, the iPhone has a keyboard as well. I can type pretty fast on it, without needing the crutch of tactile feedback.🙂

5. July 10, 2008 at 3:02 pm

“Show your friends what they’re missing in seconds.”

6. Tim
    July 10, 2008 at 6:47 pm

I was VERY happy to see a SmugMug app in the iTunes app store this morning. This looks great, can’t wait to try it out. Thanks for the hard work!

7. Tim
    July 10, 2008 at 6:48 pm

Peter, think… “I’m on vacation and all of my friends are stuck at work.”😉

“I guess this app is cool although the social aspect is kind of lost because there’s no feedback as to what my smugmug friends (or facebook etc friends) are taking photos of, right? I’m uploading geo-located photos, so are they, but who would know? Both sets of images are just being dumped into an albums somewhere.”

8. July 10, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Touching glass screen (imo) doesn’t describe a keyboard…

The app does look wonderful and you are getting a lot of great press from the 24 hour twit live iphone marathon (twitlive.tv) where at of this posting (10:02 CST) all the users of the app are from New Zealand and Australia

9. Heine Frifeldt
    July 11, 2008 at 9:30 am

Very cool application that solves the issue of uploading photos to my album(s) when I am on the go. However, I am missing access to my existing smugmug albums. For that I need to use the existing smugmug iPhone webapp. I hope some consolidation of the two apps will happen in the near future?!

Keep up the good work!!!

10. July 11, 2008 at 12:54 pm

This is just another reason to get a new iPhone3G! This will completely replace my shoot location note taking! Wow… Thanks for keeping it simple and clean.

11. fred
    July 12, 2008 at 7:05 am

App seems great. To be clear, to view your albums you still need to use Safari, right? Couldn’t see how to do that in the app.

Any chance you could add video recording to the app? Would seem to drive some business your way!

12. Gee
    July 12, 2008 at 6:45 pm

We heard it before. Get a life

13. July 12, 2008 at 11:08 pm

@fred Yes, viewing your (and other people’s) albums is still in Mobile Safari.

14. Alex
    July 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm

This looks great, but sadly, the iPhone is just too restricted for me. I’d love to see an app for windows mobile and other platforms with the same features, plus album viewing.

Actually, the main feature i want is a nice album viewing interface for smugmug on windows mobile. Despite all it lacks, the iPhone has a great browser and screen, so the web-face works best there… but an app would be the cleanest interface for windows mobile.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

15. Ryan
    July 17, 2008 at 5:12 am

while i think the smugmug app on iphone is very cool, it keeps getting hung up on uploading a few files, and it will not allow you to delete them. Outcome? Unable to get past four pictures that are stuck, and now the app is useless.

16. bj
    July 20, 2008 at 4:05 am

Love the app but hate the bugs. Where do we send bug reports and feature requests?

17. Robert Barnett
    July 24, 2008 at 8:24 am

Well, I find it funny that they would add geotagging support to this little application when still SmugMug doesn’t work right for geotagged photos and they know this and still haven’t fixed it. I am starting to think I hooked my photo sharing to the wrong hosting company.

18. July 24, 2008 at 7:43 pm

@Robert Barnett: Sorry for the trouble! I tried to dig up any correspondence we’ve had with you on the Help Desk regarding geotagged photos, but I didn’t have any luck. Please shoot us an email with a link to your site and details about the problems you’re seeing. We’d love to help get things sorted out for you. http://smugmug.com/help/emailreal

19. Kelly
    August 31, 2008 at 10:48 am

I was so excited to see this app, I downloaded it right away, as we are already avid smugmug users, and all received iPhones a few weeks ago, I take photos weekly of our properties and upload to smugmug, this way I can geotag them. However, I have 17 photos in the queue, and they ain’t movin. I can’t remove them, they won’t upload I am not sure what to do about this. I am sad😦

20. November 13, 2008 at 8:25 pm

If i see an accident. if i stop and pull out the i phone and use smug shot will the picture give us the latitude and longutude when we print it out?

21. June 12, 2009 at 12:13 pm

The SmugMug app is great and I use it all the time.

Another SmugMug iPhone app to check out is Blossom (http://kupuk.com/blossom) in the iTunes App Store for browsing your pics over WiFi or 3G.

Blossom is the fastest way to browse all your SmugMug photos on your iPhone or iPod Touch wherever you are!

It's in at the App Store at: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa

22. November 14, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Canon FTL. I'll never buy another one of their camera's. This seals it. Peace.

23. November 23, 2009 at 7:55 pm