Job Opening: Social Sorcerer
photo by: Bill Evans Photography
How would you like to be the 8th Sorcerer here at SmugMug? (We don’t hire engineers, programmers, or even coders – we only hire Sorcerers. If you can’t work magic, I’m sure our competitors would love to see your resume…)
At SmugMug, everything we build is a direct result of customer feedback. We do very little, if any, competitive research – our customers keep us plenty busy. As a result, we’ve largely ignored social networking, especially outside of SmugMug. It just hasn’t been something our customers have asked for.
The good news is we listen. So we’re ready to take the plunge. The geek in me has *always* wanted to dive into this stuff (and I’m the one who built and/or pushed us to build the building blocks we already have: an open API, Atom/RSS feeds, OpenID support, OAuth support, etc), so I’m thrilled we finally have the “ok” from my boss – our customers. 🙂
So if you’re high on social networking, particularly sharing photos anywhere and everywhere, we’d love to have you come work your magic. The job is extremely open-ended: You’d create our strategy, build our apps on other platforms, interact with our API developers who’ve already built some, and generally make it even easier for our customers to share their photos outside SmugMug. You’ll have to get your hands dirty – you’ll be writing the software (with the help of the other Sorcerers as needed), so managers and architects who no longer dirty their hands need not apply.
If that sounds like fun, we’re the best company to work for you’ve ever heard of (ok, this list sounds unbelievable, but I swear it’s all true):
- We’re all super heroes.
- We’re a privately held, profitable-for-years, fast-growing company (100%+ year-on-year for multiple years)
- Fun projects. You choose what to work on rather than being assigned some fluff job. (I know, I know, unheard of – but I swear it’s true).
- Small team. Your projects are your projects, not some multi-layer management effort doomed to fail.
- Fast paced. Any week where we don’t do at least one software release is rare.
- Large scale. Top 500 site. 350M+ photos, 800TB+ storage, 300M page views/month. Fun problems to solve🙂
- Big impact. Hundreds of thousands of paying customers and 6.5M+ visitors a month will use your work.
- Family friendly. Full healthcare coverage, kids welcome for company meals and events. (Ex: We’re taking the whole company to Tahoe to ski & relax, including spouses and kids).
- Distributed. Nearly 75% of our employees aren’t in Silicon Valley – they’re scattered all over the world, from Australia to Europe and a dozen US states.
- Crazy benefits. We pay better salaries than the giants in Silicon Valley plus “early” stock options, profit sharing bonuses, matching 401k, 100% healthcare coverage for you and your family, gym memberships, iPhone 3G + minutes & data, 3G data cards, cable/DSL at home. Free drinks, free meals while working (new private chef too!). And more.
- Great office. Walking distance to downtown Mountain View, across the street from train & lightrail, near Highway 85. 7.1 channel home theater, dual 30″ displays + Mac Pro + MacBook Pro/Air, jaw-dropping photography on the walls (and an in-house studio to shoot your own). Healthy cube/office decoration budget. (Ok, this is getting really fun to write🙂 )
Whew! (Yes, I think our employees are our most valuable asset. Can you tell?)
So, do you have what it takes? At the very least, you’ll need:
- A passion for open data.
- An understanding of how important privacy controls are.
- Experience with web services, especially REST. SOAP and XML-RPC fans, this isn’t the place for you (but knowledge of black magic ain’t bad – just don’t practice it here!).
- Modern scripting language experience (PHP, Python, Ruby). We use PHP (and so will you!).
- History building apps (big or small) for platforms like Facebook, OpenSocial, etc.
- Understanding of current and upcoming social networking technologies: OpenID, OAuth, microformats, etc
- Experience with the SmugMug API a big plus.